A formerly cross-continental & cross-apartmental, now cross-town discussion on film featuring Owen and Matt

Monday, May 4, 2009

Oh no Hugh di'n't

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE. THE READER. So we usually end up being homers it seems and write about movies that we liked. So I thought I would mix it up a bit. Also, I will have to say that this might be the oddest combination of movies I have chose to review but as I started it about Wolverine (TRAILER) I didn't want to just write about how it sucked and was acknowledging that it's major flaw is also found in The Reader (TRAILER), another rather lame effort.

So first, Hugh's folly (and no, I don't again refer to the musical number at the Oscars). Let me get out of the way the obvious reasons why I don't recommend spending $10 to see the movie. OK first to be nice, I like Hugh Jackman, it had some good effects and it was in a way mindless entertainment -- but I think if I want that I will just wait for DVD. So it was the kind of movie were there are constant inconsistencies and pieces that just don't make sense (why did he fight in the Civil War if he is Canadian? Why is the guy who he finds out is not his actual dad in the first 5 minutes of the movie played by Jackman? Why does he age to exactly Jackman's age and then stop? How does he get a motorcycle back after a big action scene?) and I'm not one who generally catches all of these sort of issues in movies. Bad dialogue. A scene where his claws looked really fake. Oh and the lack of any characters other than Wolverine that we care about.

Aside from that, the big problem with the movie partly results from being a sequel: We know how it is going to turn out. I thought X2 actually did a pretty good job telling the background of Wolverine and I'm not sure we needed even more buildup to what we found other in that movie. I think there might have been a way to do it, though, if the filmmakers hadn't made the glaring mistake of forgetting that we know what will happen. In order for an action movie to work, there has to be some tension and there are a number of reveals that it builds to that amount to a shrug because we already know what will happen. He gets tricked into being transformed. Knew that. He picks the name Wolverine. Who didn't see that one coming? He doesn't die in any of the big battles and neither do characters we know show up in later movies. Duh? If they had tried to build the story around issues for which we were already not aware, the movie might have stood a chance but it might be that there just wasn't enough story to build a movie around anyway. As painful as it is to give positive recognition in this case, I was discussing with a coworker today that not building to surprises in known plot elements is something that George Lucas did well in the Star Wars prequels. So as you can see it does not necessarily ensure quality.

Wolverine might be OK for a rental when you just want to not think about things but I can't endorse it too much when there are other comic book movies being made, like Ironman, that are able to be entertaining and still contain some level of quality. I can't say, however, that I hated the movie completely.

So how does this connect to The Reader, a movie which in two years will only be remembered as the one that finally earned Kate Winslett an Oscar? (side note: As much as I like Winslett, she in no way deserved a Best Actress recognition for this movie as there is not way you could convince me this was a leading role) Like Wolverine, there are a number of flaws in the movie -- including the fact that it is dull -- but the biggest for me was that the crux of the whole movie was something that supposedly was a surprise about Winslett's character but it's kind of in the title and just about anybody seeing the movie knows it already. It seems like such a let down when you realize that is going to be what everything hinges upon. This is a very mild SPOILER ALERT that I think you probably already know but if you are really paranoid and think you might actually be unaware of it, skip to the end of the paragraph and read no more. We are supposed to be surprised that she can't read and somehow this is supposed to change our interpretation of the character in the past and what she does in the pivotal part of the movie. But we already know so it's printer much a shrug that makes it about as fulfilling as the rest of the movie.

So there's my connection of these two movies. I love finding a way to connect two movies that are dissimilar by finding a connection like this. Especially when it means I can write about two recent movies I saw at once (score!). Also, I think it could start some conversation if you have any thoughts on movies that try to treat known facts or obvious events as surprise events in the movie. It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine in movies and one that I think we see way too often by lazy screenwriters. Any movies that bring this to mind?

5 comments:

  1. I take no issue with anything you've said about either film. For the sake of accuracy let me answer this question: Why is the guy who he finds out is not his actual dad in the first 5 minutes of the movie played by Jackman?
    He is not. He is played by Peter O'Brien. Maybe this completely changes your opinion of the movie ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken. So I amend my comment to ask why his fake dad looks like Hugh Jackman and his real dad looks like Liev Schreiber. Sorry for the inaccuracy -- I will flog myself tonight to make up for it.
    But as you can guess this doesn't change my opinion of the movie. If only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that does change my opinion of the movie. Completely. Knowing this, my view of it's gone from Razzie-worthy to a cinematic masterpiece for the ages.

    But seriously, the movie was just a huge waste, of time, effort, and, most of all, potential. The first two X-Men movies were great, and the third at least tried to engage the viewer. One might say, "You're thinking about it too much, just sit back and enjoy a fun, dumb piece of entertainment." But why should our expectations for an X-Men movie be so low, especially considering the previous entries in the franchise? We, and these characters, deserve a movie that can withstand at least a little thought, instead of one with huge holes holes in its own logic, inconsistencies, and just plain stupidity—not to mention mediocre performances, cringe-inducing dialogue, and special effects that look worse than those of the first movie almost a decade ago.

    None of this seems to have hurt its popularity with the great unwashed, so there are already talks of a sequel (of which we caught a glimpse during the credits).
    http://chud.com/articles/articles/19293/1/BIG-SURPRISE-WOLVERINE-2-HEADS-TO-JAPAN/Page1.html
    Of course, I've thought all along that this is what the Wolverine spinoff should be about, rather than just rehashing a subject—his origin—we already covered in X-Men 2. It would get him out of his usual backwoods environment and show a side of the character those unfamiliar with the comics haven't seen before—disciplined martial artist, lover, civilized human being (or homo superior, whatever), while retaining a bit of that fish-out-of-water, hairy-gaijin-with-a-violent-streak aspect. Oh yeah, and ninjas. Lots of ninjas. Chris Claremont and Frank Miller had the right idea about what a Wolverine spinoff should be. I'll cross my fingers that they get it right the next time, but given the chunk of change they're making on this one, they'll probably just bring back all the same people, who'll feel no need to re-evaluate how they do things. But where there is life—and an X-Men franchise—there is hope . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, lately Mike and I have been watching the old X-Men Saturday-morning cartoon from the early '90s. Honestly, I'm astounded by how good it is, especially in comparison with the last two X-Men movies, and Wolverine in particular. Granted, the dialogue and storytelling are still geared toward that 8-to-12-year-old-boy demographic (right where I was when it first aired), but I'm genuinely impressed by the fidelity to the source material—in both letter and spirit—and the economy of storytelling and charaterization they were able to cram into 20-minute episodes. You get a better sense of the character Wolverine, his psychology, and his relationship with Sabretooth (left mysterious, the way it should be!) from a couple episodes of the cartoon than you do from the entirety of the latest movie. And it's got some pretty complex storytelling for a kids show: storylines span several episodes, there are usually multiple storylines going on at once, and they even start each episode with a Lost-like "Previously, on X-Men" recap. Seriously, if you want to get a good sense of the X-Men universe (circa 1993) and you don't mind the kinda crappy animation, definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of what I know about the X-Men universe I know from that television show as I was never much of a comic reader. I loved that show, though, and it was toward the older end of my cartoon viewing so I like to think it was more sophisticated than, say, Transformers. Oh, and we have multiple opportunities for the X-Men movies to redeem themselves in addition to the Wolverine sequel. I read that a Magneto origin movie is in development as well as a movie about the first class of Xavier's school (that one helmed the creator of The O.C. and Chuck) and now they have also greenlit a Deadpool movie hinted at by the scene after the credits of Wolverine. Maybe it will be better? Hope springs eternal.

    ReplyDelete